Monday, August 30, 2010

new beginings

       Today, the torture chambers were reinstated. I was awoken at an ungodly hour, dreading what the day would insinuate. Regardless of the trepidation I have about the upcoming year (an ostensible 9 month eternity), I have to admit that I am slightly ebullient at the prospect of new experiences. My teacher said something in the morning assembly/devotions that caused a, brief as it was, hesitation in the goings on of my brain and provoked me to ponder relativity and view points. He explained to us in a way impossible not to fathom, that some times little things are indubitably big things. Example: "I would not have you ignorant, brethren" versus "I would not have you, ignorant brethren." See the difference? A comma is a very small thing but it makes the biggest difference. That made me think of other things that seem small (or big) and are actually the opposite: hugs, the earth compared to us and the earth compared to the "grand scheme of things" i.e., the universe? To us the earth is very large but in reality it is quite diminutive. Another example is myself. To a baby I look large, to a Samoan, I would most likely look small. To me, I am all I am. If you look at the whole world, however, how am I special. It's a point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment