Tuesday, August 31, 2010

who am i

       Today, my teacher asked me another question that made me think. He asked "Who is Virginia?" I didn't know what to say. Am I who my dogs think I am (ruler of the universe)? Am I who my siblings think I am (that pesky little sister)? Or am I who my friends think I am? I don't know who my friends think I am. Am I any of these things? Do I put up a front or is this who I really am?
       Something that some one (I can't quite place who) said in the barely past past, also caused me to pause: where are you today compared to five years ago? Five years ago I was in 6th grade. I was decent in school. I kicked boys and I was most likely quite immature (at least if I would look at me today five years ago, I would probably think me immature). I was tall for my age (now I'm just under average height) and I didn't have a dog. I was sleeping on a floor and I was probably bugging the day lights out of my cousin who was living with us at the time. I was naive and gullible (I nearly drank diesel fuel). I spent my days outside riding bike and playing on the round bails with my neighbors/friends. Life was good. Since then, I've gone through a period of being unable to get out of bed in the morning. A period where all I did all day was watch movies and read books and sleep. I barely ever ate and I almost never left the house. Life was not good. But I've worked through some things in the last year and hopefully the upcoming year will announce itself in a much more tenacious voice. Life is good again. 

6 comments:

  1. You kicked boys? Do tell! LOL! I'm glad life is good again. I know I appreciate more fully the rich, abundant life Jesus offers for having gone through a time when it was hard to get out of bed.

    Make the most of school! This is so cliche, but you'll honestly never regret it. I'm excited to be going back to school next fall, starting my BA in Psychology. I know I'll have an easier ride because my teachers taught me to love to learn and to do it incessantly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. weeeellll.... a girl has to protect her friends from cooties doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most definitely. That's priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why.... thank you. Thank you very much. Just doing my good friendly duties. It comes with the territory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how in each stage of life, we get to be somebody a little different. I've had the boy kicking stage (just ask Raymond D.) and the stage when I just couldn't face people for one more minute. And you know, some of those times are painful to think about, even now, but they're part of me. I don't regret living them.
    (And I second what Becca said about school. I certainly don't want to go back any time soon, but enjoy every moment you have.)
    Live life to the fullest!
    P.S. I love reading your blog, Gin...Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you Bekah, that really means a lot.

    ReplyDelete